Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Worked today beginning on the detail and again from left to right and from top to bottom and back to forward. Blackrock Creek begins at Togwotee Pass on the continental divide above Dubois and runs westward into Jackson Hole where it meets up with first the Buffalo River then the Snake River. I was really taken with the light hitting the snow and the snow edges along the open and frozen water. I have left the white of the paper for those lightest edges and a grayer-blue for the tops of the snow with darker cast shadows. In the previous post I had pretty much 1 value in the shadows but all ready I have deepened those back in the trees. I began the trees as dark silhouettes then paint lighter values over defining form. The dark was mixed Indigo and Neutral tint[winsor newton]Some Quindricine rose in places too just to add differences though one would be hard pressed to notice those color changes. I am painting this on #1 Crescent illustration Board.

4 comments:

Kay said...

You know, Gary, you are suppose to save these snow scenes for summer when it is hot. That way they cool you off! :-)
I really like the shadows and light, you have it perfectly. It feels cold, are you painting with your coat on? I've done that when painting snow! LOL!
By the way, I am just about to the point of sending you a picture of the Big Horn Ram. I am calling it "Almost Legal". They have to be 3/4 curl to harvest, right?!
Glad you finally got back on to blog, was thinking you and Vickie might of headed South for visit with Lucas'.

Anonymous said...

hi Gary, thank you for writing about your technique. it always fascinates me. the painting is looking good.

Autumn Leaves said...

I love those shadows and sky reflections in the puddle. Nice work, Gary!

Theresa Rankin said...

Wonderful composition and color!!! Great work!