Sunday, August 16, 2009

Yesterday was the annual Dubois Nods Show which is a fundraiser event for people who need help in our small community. NODS is Needs of Dubois. Silversage Gallery takes part in it every year with a booth display and Tom Lucas and I do a quick-draw painting which is then auctioned off at intermission time during the main show which is a singing artist brought in just for this event. A Chuckwagon Dinner is part of the event that folks pay to attend. It is held in the Headwaters Arts and Conference Center here in town. Performing rtists in the past have included Ian Tyson [of Ian and Sylvia fame during the Folk era][and one of my all time favorites]], Don Edwards[western Cowboy singer[a great one]] This year it was Gary McMahan, a Cowboy singer and poet who is famous for his song, The Old Double Diamond , performed and made famous by Ian Tyson and Chris LaDoux. Pictured here is my quick-draw painted from a photograph I took the other morning at Brooks Lake[see my Outdoor Adventures blog]It auctioned for $350.00 which I gave all proceeds to NODS. It is image size, 12"x20" and is a gouache watercolor painting.

5 comments:

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

This makes me wish I had brought my gouache paints with me on our month-long trip to northern New Mexico! I only brought my travel set of transparent Peliken paints. I am, however, painting scenes like this from this area. The Conejos River is close and we are staying along the Rio Chama so rivers are my thing right now!

I am enjoying following along with your blog.

Gary Keimig said...

thanks Susan for replying. I love using gouache for field work. Is so easy to transport on such occassions as you describe. I taught them on the wilderness Plein Aire I used to do.

Rosemary said...

What a fun and worthwhile event! Congratulations on the sale of your wonderful painting for NODS!

Unknown said...

Very well done Gary, Im sure they appreciate your help, and a great painting)

Gary Keimig said...

thanks Rosemary and Sam. It is a very worthwhile event and sure helped me out when I was fighting cancer over the past 4 years