Sunday, October 5, 2008

I continue to do my weekly hikes and this past week I hiked into Phelps Lake in the Tetons. This lake has been non accessable to the public as it was once a dude ranch run by the Rockefellers and later a wilderness retreat for their family. I once knew the ranch manager who invited me up but never took advantage of it. The ranch was given to the Teton National Park several years ago and has been completely restored to its wilderness setting with only the trail into the lake[about 1 1/2 miles from a information building and kiosk.] There is a fancy outdoor bathroom and a pretty groomed out trail to the lake and the lake is worth hiking into. It is a clear warm day and at this time of year not much for traffic on the trail. I spend some time there reflecting on its beauty and getting lots of ideas for paintings. I watch a lone Merganser on the lake and a nice sized trout sitting below the water surface just below the lake outlet from a nice wooden bridge that crosses the lake.
I had earlier gone to the Wildlife art museum and checked out the Robert Bateman display. Great work. So simply painted yet no wasted colors or strokes to convey what he wants to do. Loved it.

No comments: