Thursday, July 7, 2011

DOUBLE CABINS
15"x28: Gouache Watercolor Painting
This is a painting depicting the Double Cabins area north of Dubois, Wyoming.  Early morning finds the high peaks surrounding this spectcular valley in fog and morning haze.  This has to be one of the most beautiful places in America.
It got its name from two fur trappers in earlier times who built a cabin there for a winter of trapping.  Towards Christmas they got to fighting amongst themselves and first drew a line in the middle of the cabin with each not to cross that line.  It was soon decided tht just was not going to work so one of them decided he would move out and down river a ways where he built a cabin of his own.  It was soon taken over by Pack Rats and in desperation he burned it to the ground announcing no Pack Rat would ever live there again.

12 comments:

Art Collector's Corner said...

Really nice work!
And congratulations, you are on our "Artists to Watch" list now!

AutumnLeaves said...

What a stunning vista, Gary! I love the history you've told with it as well. I would so love to wake up to this view every day! Lucky trappers!

L Young said...

Very beautiful Gary; nice work.

r garriott said...

My goodness Gary, you have so many blogs I can't keep up! Love the wonderful blues in this painting.

Vicki Greene said...

I never grow tired of seeing your beautiful paintings!

Roger Brown My Botswana Art said...

Beautiful painting and now a place I would like to visit if ever I visited America,and I like the piece of history!

Caroline said...

I especially like the colours you have used in this painting. Wonderful painting and location Gary.

Bruce B. Hancock said...

Another beautiful painting of a stunning countryside that you obviously love. Well done Gary, your heart is showing!

Kimberly Vanlandingham said...

Ok, wow, wow, WOW! We're going out west again next year. I'll have to see if I can look this place up. Wonderful painting!

Log Cabin Studio said...

Great story and an another wonderful painting.
Caroline

hmuxo said...

I Love Wyoming also, Gary!! It's truly God's Country! Beautiful scenery all over...you have found one that I missed! lovely colors as always.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Another nice painting Gary, really enjoyed the story to go along with it :)