Thursday, February 3, 2011


I had mentioned at the beginning of my studio tour that I had a bird feeder outside my window. As I was photographing the scenes for my studio I took a few pictures of my visitors. Today I had Black capped and Mountain Chickadees and Gold Finches as well as two Pine Squirrells who keep the neighborhood in an uproar. I nailed several dead branches to the feeder and it works perfect for getting bird photographs that I can use in paintings. This is a Mountain Chickadee distinguished by the white bar above the eye. They are also a little thinner looking bird that the Black Capped. I used to do a lot of bird art and keep intending to get back to it.

8 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

This is a beautiful capture. I would love to see paint birds again...I am sure that they would be wonderful!

Carol Blackburn said...

Awesome idea about the branches, Gary. Great shot. I look forward to seeing some of your bird paintings if you do them. Do you have any posted on older posts?

AutumnLeaves said...

Well this is sure one awesome photo to get you back in the mood for doing birds. Beautiful, Gary!

Ruby said...

Don't you just love to listen to the chickadee call.... the 'chick-a-de-de-de'.
Smart idea with the branches attached to the bird feeder.

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Beautiful photo Gary a sweet wee bird lovely markings :)

Pattie Wall said...

I'm with Ruby, love that chick-a-dee-dee-dee...little bird who acts like a big bird, too!

Mary Paquet said...

Gary, thanks for checking in on my "Kandinsky" painting. That was such fun and just fell off the brush. Some things do and others are a battle.

This is a beautiful photo, Gary, and I just became a follower of your Wilderness Art Challenge blog. If I can squeeze it in, I will make an attempt at painting this subject and send it to you. The branches over the feeder is ingenious and you are such an accomplished photographer. I love this piece.

By the way, thanks so much for sharing your studio pictures. What a wonderful space you've created for yourself, and I love how it feels like your native Wyoming, a state where I traveled as a 22-year-old newlywed and is dear to my heart. My favorite shot shows your saddles. An object with history intrigues me.

If I recall, you are also a bicyclist. Bob and I will be self-supported touring the East Coast for 3 months on our tandem beginning in April. I will be posting a link to our journal on my blog.

Oregon Trail Crossing said...

Gary, I have several of your works but one of my favorites is a pair of finches :-) beautiful work on the detail and you're right, you should do more birds :-)